All about the card
ABOUT STUDENT LEAP CARD
What is the Student Leap Card?
Student Leap Card is Ireland's national student travel and discount card available to all second-and third-level students in full time education (see Eligibility Guidelines). It is the only student card that can save students up to 66% across all public transport operators, as well as a host of exclusive discounts and offers from leading brands. Cardholders can also avail of other student discounts from over 100+ retail discounts nationwide. Student Leap Card is sold under licence from the National Transport Authority.
What travel discounts will I get with my Student Leap Card?
You can save up to 66% across all public transport operators IRISH RAIL, DART, BUS EIREANN, LUAS, DUBLIN BUS . See our Transport Savings section
Discounts are also available on journeys with Wexford Bus, Swords Express, Matthews Coaches, & Citylink Galway, Ulsterbus, Northern Ireland Railways (Translink)
Get your travel discounts in 3 ways:
1. Load Travel Credit to Pay-As-You-Go (Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick and Waterford city services)
2. Pre-paid tickets can be loaded onto your Card (Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick and Waterford city services)
3. Use the card as a Student ID to allow you to buy discounted tickets
What Exclusive discounts will I get with my Student Leap Card?
- Boots Pharmacies - 10% off in all stores nationwide
- McDonald’s - €5 medium extra value meal
- GAA - Discount entry to GAA matches
- SAYIT Travel/ J1 Visa - 20% off Travel Insurance,€15 off flights, 5% off gadget insurance
- Munster Rugby - Discounted Rugby Matches
- Tropical Medical Bureau - 10% off vaccines and travel products
*Terms and Conditions apply. See discount page for full details
Who is eligible for a Student Leap Card?
All full time students in 2nd and 3rd level education are entitled to apply for a Student Leap Card. Students must have a minimum of 16 hours of lectures/class time per week, and be enrolled for a minimum of 6 months duration in any one 12 month period.
Full-time foreign students who meet the above criteria are also entitled to apply for the SLC whilst in Ireland. Students enrolled as trainee Accountants (ACCA, Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland), trainee Solicitors registered with the Law Society, full time SOLAS trainees/students and full time PLC students are also considered eligible.
Students of online courses are not eligible to apply for the SLC, unless they meet the criteria set out here. Students may be required to produce further evidence of eligibility, upon request by Student Leap Card or an agent of Student Leap Card (i.e. letter from college/institution).
How can I get my Student Leap Card?
1. By Post (See application form)
2. Via our Express Agents
3. By Printerless Agents
4. Via our On-campus Roadshows (January + September)
Where can I get an application form?
Application forms are available to download here or from the Customer Service desks in the following locations:
- Dublin Bus, Upper O Connell St., Dublin 1
- Students Leap Agents nationwide
- Local Youth information centres nationwide
Where can I get my Student Leap Card?
Visit any of our express agents to get your card printed on-the-spot. This is the quickest way to get your card.
Please bring with you: Photo ID, College ID or letter, and payment. Your photograph will be taken by the agent.
- Trinity College, Students Union, House no.6 (01 6468431 - through the front arch and turn left)
- Dublin Bus, 59 Upper O'Connell Street, Dublin 1 (01) 873 4222
- UCD Student's Union, Student Centre, Belfield, Dublin (01) 7163108)
- DCU Student's Union, The Hub (01) 7005392
- Tropical Medical Bureau, 94 Upper Georges Street, Dun Laoghaire, Co Dublin(01) 2715200
- Maynooth University, www.msu.ie, (01) 7086819
- UCC Student Union 54 College Road, Cork. www.collegeroad.ie 021 490 3218
- SAYIT Travel, 76 Grand Parade, Cork (021) 4935900
- Cork Institute of Technology, Rossa Ave, Cork. (021) 432 6100
- NUI Galway, Students Union (091) 524810
- University of Limerick Student's Union, www.ulsu.ie (061) 202324
For Latest Opening Hours SEE HERE
Our Printerless agents take your photo and payment & your card arrives by post in 3-5 working days. Click here for Locations New You
Fill out our Application Form and post with payment and photos to: Student Leap Card, PO Box 10549, Dublin 15. Your card will be posted out to you within 5 working days of receipt of application.
How much is the Student Leap Card?
From September 1st 2016, the Card is €7 by post, or costs €10 with our Student Leap Card Agents (€7, plus a €3 photo capture fee). Agents accept cash only. See Application Form for postal payment methods.
I am still in secondary school and/or Under 18. Am I eligible to apply?
Yes. The application form must bear the Authorised Stamp and be signed by an Authorised Official of your School. Please see Application Form for instructions.
Under 19’s are however also eligible for the Child Leap Card. Please note that the Child Leap Card is for child travel discounts only, whilst Student Leap Card offers retail discounts as well as the student travel discounts.
See LeapCard.ie for details on all cards, so as to make an informed decision before application.
When does the Student Leap Card expire?
Every September a new card is issued. We change the colour of the card every year to ensure there is no fraud in our system. A new card must be purchased after the expiry of the existing Student Leap Card. For example, if you purchase the card on or any time after September 1st 2016, the card will expire on 31st December 2017. The expiry date is printed on the top right of card.
About Postal Applications
Where do I send the completed form for postal application?
Send the form to: Student Leap Card, PO Box 10549, Dublin 15
Do I need to include a stamped addressed envelope to have the card returned to me?
No, postage costs are included in the application fee.
When will I receive my Student Leap Card?
The card will be sent to you within 5 working days of our receipt of your application.
Why does the College/School Administrator need to stamp the card?
This control measure is in place to ensure that only students who are genuinely in second and third level can apply for and avail of the discounts associated with the Student Leap Card.
What happens if I fill my postal application form in incorrectly?
If an incomplete or incorrect form is received it will be rejected and returned to the applicant. An administration fee of €5.00 will apply. Payment is taken once we receive the fully and correctly completed application form. Please therefore ensure that you have correctly completed all sections on the application form before posting to us.
Can I get my money back?
The Student Leap Card fee is non-refundable. If you have loaded travel credit onto the card you can apply online for your refund at www.leapcard.ie You can also contact Leap Card Customer Care Team on 1850 824 824 or firstname.lastname@example.org to get the travel credit refunded
Do I need to advise of a change of address?
Yes. Please email email@example.com to let our office know of you change your address.
Do I need to pay again if I change my address?
No. Change of address does not require a reissue of the card.
Who do I contact if I need help with my application?
PLEASE REFER TO THE APPLICATION FORM FOR FULL INSTRUCTIONS